2040 Regional Transportation Plan
The purpose of the RTP is to document the current status of transportation projects and programs, identify long-term needs and recommend transportation programs and projects to meet those needs. The long-range plan sets a framework and priorities for the distribution of federal transportation funds. Current federal surface transportation legislation requires the RTP to:
- have a minimum of 20-year planning horizon;
- be updated every four years;
- be based on the latest available estimates and assumptions for population, land use, travel, employment, congestion, and economic activity;
- identify an integrated, multimodal transportation system, giving emphasis to facilities that serve important national and regional functions;
- contain operational and management strategies to improve the performance of existing infrastructure to maximize the safety and mobility of people and goods;
- conform to air quality standards;
- provide for multimodal capacity increases based on regional needs and priorities;
- be fiscally constrained by identifying sources "reasonably expected to be available" to implement the plan;
- discuss potential environmental mitigation activities;
- include pedestrian walkway and bicycle transportation facilities, as well as transportation and transit enhancement activities; and,
- provide for public participation, including publication with electronically accessible formats.
ABOUT THE RTP
In the fall of 2013, a task force comprised of regional experts, stakeholders, and TCRPC staff began the process of updating the Long-Range Regional Transportation Plan (RTP). With a planning horizon of 2040, the task force reviewed the current state of the Region's transportation system, identified its long-term needs, and identified potential projects necessary to address those needs. From these findings, the plan guides and prioritizes the distribution of federal transportation funds within the HATS region.
HATS adopted the 2040 RTP (read the news release) at its Coordinating Committee meeting on Friday, December 19, 2014.
AIR QUALITY CONFORMITY
- Air Quality Conformity Analysis Report / RTP 2040 Update
- Air Quality Conformity Analysis - Executive Summary
- Air Quality Conformity Analysis - Technical Analysis
INTERACTIVE PROJECT LOCATOR
The Harrisburg Area Transporation Study and Tri-County Regional Planning Commission have created an interactive web-based map for projects on the 2040 Regional Transportation Plan. You can explore the projects there, or read about them and view a static map in Chapter 5 of the RTP.